Try harder. Do better. Be perfect.
These messages are tricks that people have played on us. No matter how hard we try, we think we have to do better. Perfection always eludes us and keeps us unhappy with the good we’ve done.
Messages of perfectionism are tricks because we can never achieve their goal. We cannot feel good about ourselves or what we have done while these messages are driving us. We will never be good enough until we change the messages and tell ourselves we are good enough now.
We can start approving of and accepting ourselves. Who we are is good enough. Our best yesterday was good enough; our best today is plenty good too.
We can be who we are, and do it the way we do it – today. That is the essence of avoiding perfection.
God, help me let go of the messages that drive me into the crazies. I will give myself permission to be who I am and let that be good enough.
- Obstacle 76: Perfectionism (climbeveryobstacle.wordpress.com)
- Paradigms: Belief and Attitude, Growth and Destruction (thestaggeringferret.wordpress.com)
- Imperfection (bipolarlearningcurve.com)
- A Time For Letting Go (resurrectedwriter.wordpress.com)
- Codepedence is not just an issue for partners of addicts (toddlohenry.com)
- 15 Things You Should Give Up To Be Happy (adamseymour.wordpress.com)